November 16, 2009

The Vegas Debrief - Part 2

Filed under: PolenPoker, PolenBabble — Twin C @ 5:10 pm

Memories. . . fading. . . quickly. . .

Saturday - I woke up at 10 am. . . New York time. 7:00 am in Sin City. I tried my best to fall back asleep but had no luck, so I took a shower and headed downstairs to the poker room, where Jon was still at the table, having never gone to bed. They had managed to raise the table stakes to 2/5 no limit hold em, which I had never played before, but I figured, why not, I’ll play with winnings, and sat down with $300, a little short stacked but not terrible.

I ran pretty cold for a while, then got bluffed out of a medium sized pot when a flush hit the board and someone appeared to be drawing for it. I was out of position and checked, he pushed all in, I crankily folded, and he showed second pair, which I had beat. The very next hand I get pocket kings, and throw out a slightly bigger preflop raise than usual. Someone asked me what was going on, and I said “Obviously I’m tilting.” I get two callers. The flop is 4 8 9 offsuit. I get checked to, put out a half pot bet, get called, and then get raised big by someone who says “I don’t believe you.” I push all in, and get called by both players. I get nervous that someone has a set, until another king comes on the turn - I then feel much better. The river is a rag, and I triple up. (One of the other players had Ace 9, but the other had King 9, bad beating the other player and taking her stack, which later on she gave back to her and then some, getting too tricky with pocket 8s versus pocket Aces.) I went from being understacked to having just enough to actually do some damage, and I stayed out of trouble and played strong when I had the goods. The table broke around 11:00 am, and I was up $250.

James had gotten up, having gotten a good night’s sleep, and the three of us decided to go eat in the coffee shop. We also started to plot out the rest of the day, as Jon needed to go to the Gambler’s General Store, and I wanted to make it over to the Pinball Hall of Fame, and my other Las Vegas friends were texting about possibly meeting up. But first - more poker. The three of us sat down at a 1/2 table and promptly got it raised to 2/5. It wasn’t clear how long it was going to last - some of the guys kept saying they needed to leave, but kept playing anyway. My only hand of note - I raised preflop with AK, got three callers, the flop came K K 9 - blammo! Even better, someone kept betting it for me. I made $150 that hand alone, and by the time the table broke I was up another 250 or so total. James went to a 1/2 table, Jon went up to take a nap, and I splashed around on the slot machines, where I wasn’t hitting a damn thing, so I gave up before I did too much damage to my winnings. I went back and watched James play a little bit, and eventually went up to get Jon up, so that we could begin the Vegas errands. . .

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a comment

Powered by WordPress